Version using PCB as chassis

I like to use the PCB as the chassis. Quick and dirty version using N20 motors and breaking out the GPIO to a Mikrobus socket

This looks amazing - it would be great to build one that’s as small as possible, and using the pcb for a chassis is a great idea.

How soon can you make one? :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would probably work out quite expensive in small runs. I was thinking that if I’m just using PCB for structure and not doing anything electrical with it then maybe I could just make one with a hole that you could bolt a Sparkfun one into. Also trying to keep it smaller than 10cm x 10cm on cost grounds

The XRP boards don’t seem available to buy yet? Do we have any idea what they cost to buy or get fabricated?

I was also looking at what motors could be used. It seems like the £20 Pololu ones would plug right in, but not the £5 Aliexpress ones So I’m wondering about getting some cables made up, or some little adaptor boards.

An 18650 pack mounted on standoffs above the board might be nice for power

This would fit within the 10x10 footprint, but looks a bit ‘off’ aesthetically.

The boards should be available in a couple weeks… I’m not sure on the price yet, but it will be pretty reasonable. If you want - I’ll send you an early one to play with?

On the motors, it would be great to get some of those working… so we can have more options for types of builds. Let me know if you need any help!

1 Like

That would be great, thanks!

Using these cables and connectors it should be possible to use the £5 bringsmart motors.

I ordered a couple of these PCB shim/motor holders to see if it’s strong enough. 70pence each so not too bad.

Let me know when I can get the controller board to test with.

Awesome… I just PM’d you for a shipping address

1 Like

Thanks. Could you confirm the motor socket/plug part name as well please?

Playing around with a daughter board that could mount on standoffs above the main board.

• Socket for Mikroe click
  • Female header to insert the ultrasonic sensor
  • 3x Pimoroni 5pin breakout garden pins for vl53l5cx or similar modules

Essentially just a pre-configured breadboard that you could connect to with Qwiic > Dupont cables

This code might be useful for the 4x4 version

I’m not sure… it’s a 6 pin JST, I can send you a photo

That looks awesome… we need to design some new chassis mounts to hold these expansion boards.

I think it’s probably a 1mm JST-sh so I’ve ordered those. For some reason I couldn’t output a useful BOM from the PCB file.

Hey there! Yes, the connectors on the control board are 6-pin JST-SH, these ones to be exact: JST SH Vertical 6-Pin Connector - SMD - GPS-00579 - SparkFun Electronics

1 Like

The motor mount part arrived today, seems like it might work…

This is the BOM I’m using

Did a bit more messing about with this board.

Added option of connecting the Ultrasonic & line follower boards (You’d need to bend the pins)

The 5pin female behind is for connecting a Breakout garden socket

Into this you could drop a vl53l5cx or an LED matrix or OLED for making robot faces

Some more bits arrived. Still no cables to spin a motor though…

If anyone wants one of these pcb/mount plates then happy to stick one in the post for the cost of postage.

It looks fantastic… mind if I do a blog post on your build?

1 Like

That would be fun, I’d like to at least get some motors spinning first though, so people aren’t wasting their time if something doesn’t work out.