Single Part Frame compatible with Ultimaker 3s? (shave off 0.5mm)

Hi, I’m just getting started, but my 3D printer’s bed is 187mm x 227mm (actually 190mm x 230mm, but cura won’t let me slice bigger than 187mm). The frame I need to print is 190.5mm x 192.5mm. Has anybody tried cropping a little bit off the supplied files or split it some other way?

I imagine this is not terribly difficult for somebody that knows 3D cad software pretty well, but I don’t think I have time to figure this out anytime before my students need the frame.

I think it would be pretty straight forward to make a “stubby” version where the “arms” holding the caster wheels are shortened, like so:

Should make it ~30mm shorter, would something like that work for you?

1 Like

I think a 30mm shorter would be great, but when I went to purchase from sparkfun yesterday, they had the whole kits back in stock for just $10 more edu discount, so now I’m getting everything I need to get started! :slight_smile:
That said, if there was a 30mm version available, I’d definitely print one or two for the students. We have fusion360 - I’m just not sure how to modify it yet. Luckily, now it is more for fun & learning.

2 Likes

Hi all, I’m finally on Discourse. I’m responsible for the chassis design, and I see there’s a request for a shorter (in one dimension) chassis. Please see link below, this is a version in which the overall length is reduced by 20mm, hope that’s enough. This is still the “current” design, there will be a new one coming whenever the XRP gods say to release it.

If you make one and have any issues, please reply here or email nrosenberg@wpi.edu. Thanks.

Here it is: XRP Smaller Chassis.3MF - Google Drive

Thank you! I’m printing this on an ultimaker. Is it worth trying to print without support? Are there any other settings you recommend?