After untethering XRP, pushing the left reset button doesn't run last downloaded code

I’ve been trying some simple code on the XRP to understand how it works – run drive train motors at a constant speed, I thought once I downloaded some code, I could untether the robot, push the small black reset button on the left-hand side of the development board, and see the code run. I just get a periodic clicking sound as if a motor is turning on and off. When tethered and I click the RUN button in the code editor, the code runs fine, as expected. However, when I detach the usb cord from the robot and hit reset, the robot motors don’t spin. Is there something I’m missing or don’t understand how to run a program when the robot isn’t tethered?

The first thing I would check would be the batteries. When you are plugged in to the USB cable the power is coming through there. When unplugged it is just the batteries.

Thank you for making me try the obvious. I was a bit surprised that solved the problem. I had started with brand new AA batteries yesterday and used the robot for several hours yesterday playing with the web server code. When I tested the those batteries with the multi meter, they all registered 1.1v. I popped in 4 new AAs (multi meter read 1.6 for each) and the problem resolved. I definitely will need rechargeable AAs!

1 Like