HC-SRO4 Distance sensor

Hi, The Qwiic connector that came with my robot had the vcc and ground swapped. My sensor got very hot. I have several of these sensors from another kit and replaced it, wiring it correctly, but depending on which way the signal wires are oriented, I get only 65535 or something between 0.9 and 1. Could the xrp board be damaged or is there anything else I can try?

This worked just fine with the other robots. Students were able to plot distances in thonny and use distances to stop, etc.

Hi there, sorry to hear that happened! Also apologies for the long response time, many of us were at the FIRST Championships last week and we’re playing catch up.

Can you share exactly which HC-SR04 you’re using? Was it part of your XRP kit or purchased elsewhere?

When you say the VCC and GND pins were swapped, do you mean the wire colors on the JST connector itself, or just the headers were plugged into the sensor incorrectly?

For the data wires, the blue wire (GPIO20) should connect to the trigger pin, and the yellow wire (GPIO21) should connect to the echo pin on the sensor.

If you’re still having trouble, can you try using one of the known-good sensors from one of the other robots? Or try that sensor on another known-good robot? That would give an indication of whether the sensor or control board is the problem.

Hope this helps!