Error running installation_verification.py program

After following the video instructions, I am unable to run the verification program through https://xrpcode.wpi.edu/. It updated the python code and firmware. I can turn on the robot and see 2 red lights, but I do not see the green LED flashing, any longer. Thanks for any help

I get the following error when running my installation_verification.py program.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 5, in
File “XRPExamples/installation_verification.py”, line 1, in
File “/lib/XRPLib/defaults.py”, line 19, in
File “/lib/XRPLib/imu.py”, line 26, in get_default_imu
File “/lib/XRPLib/imu.py”, line 59, in init
File “/lib/XRPLib/imu.py”, line 155, in is_connected
File “/lib/XRPLib/imu.py”, line 106, in _getreg
OSError: [Errno 110] ETIMEDOUT

OK, I resolved this issue myself. Turns out I had plugged in the range-finder in to the wrong port and that made it so that the IMU on the I2C port didn’t respond. The port I plugged into was the Qwiic port, which is part of the I2C bus, most likely, which probably interfered with the IMU as well. Here is how I diagnosed the issue.

I discovered this response to a similar issue. ERROR reading in XRPLib.defaults - #2 by SparkFro
When I follow the procedure to comment out the IMU and the drivetrain, I was able to cycle through the tests until I get to the drivetrain test. The range sensor test also failed with this output:
Range Distance: 65535.0 Press user button to test servo

I followed the instructions in this post to do an I2C scan and got back a null array.

My result

import qwiic_i2c
i2cDriver = qwiic_i2c.getI2CDriver()
i2cDriver.scan()

So, the range-sensor failure clued me into the plug being wrong and once corrected, I was able to complete the initialization test and get a [107] response from the i2c scan.

1 Like

Thanks for documenting your problem solving strategy and experience!
It’s both informative and inspiring to see the process.

1 Like